Monday, September 22, 2008

From Draw to Draw

Today was a day of many, many ups and down through draw after draw. What looked to be a straight shot between Ozona and Junction, Texas turned out to be 27 draws (meaning uphill and down hill) and on top of that; the wind blew most of the day and I was riding into it. I guess you could say that if anyone wanted to learned how to maximize how to shift a bicycle, this would be a good section of the road for training! Twenty-seven times I was in the lowest gear of the bike pedaling at 6 mph with the highest speed being 24 mph on the down hill and still into the wind. Unfortunately, 6 mph uphill is four times longer than the brief 24 mph down.

The weather was cool and overcast until early afternoon when it did clear up to a balmy 85 degrees. Locating a place to eat at mid-morning or mid-day meal was difficult as there really wasn't much in between the two towns above. So reliance on my guardian angel came in handy again when she arrived about noon with a DQ hamburger, fries and lemonade.

There are no pictures today because our laptop won't turn on for some strange reason so we are at the public library in Junction, Texas.

Miles Traveled Today = 91
Total Miles Traveled = 1,327
Trivia = 9 dead porcupines and 27 draws (or cuts in the hills)
Also experienced my 9th flat at the end of the day so just walked the last mile to our motel.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Thanks for explaining what a "draw" is. I guess you should have done more training in Ellensburg--we provide all kinds of "practice wind." So sorry that the wind is not at your back, where it should be! But what do you expect from Texas. Hope the going gets easier soon (you WILL get out of that state at some point!) I'm glad your guardian angel is right on the job!
Congratulations on your 42nd anniversary. Thinking of you as you grind away! It will get better! Happy Trails---Beverly Vifian

Jonathan and Keri said...

Greetings from Michigan. Congrats on the Anniversary. I am reading the blog while studying for my Pauline Epistles class tonight. In a way, reading about your journey so far seems like a journey Paul would have made if he was in the U.S. doing Mission work. We pray that you will make it to your 'Jerusalem' like the Apostle Paul did.
Jonathan Spronk

rlieuwen said...

I don't think I will be riding any draws with you! I have a tough time on the slight inclines that the Silver Comet trail provides for me. We have done one cycle around our house and that is just to hilly for my taste. Tim ends up pushing me while I try to pedal away.

I hope that Florida provides a nice level road for us as we join up with you.

Keep up the good work and after your struggle of a day I can't believe you covered 91 miles!

Love ya,
Rinda