Saturday, September 13, 2008

Arizona Cotton Fields to Lordsburg, New Mexico



We were truly been blessed by the best of conditions today. Libby and I got up early and rode together for several miles and then I was off on my own. The Safford AZ area is a beautiful agricultural area with many different crops, but mostly cotton. After about an hour on the floor of the valley it was time to climb up into the high desert.
Because of recent rains, the high desert was green and lush with many types of cacti, yucca, and flowering weeds of various types. Since the vegetation is so available, many of the little critters that live in the area were also plentiful. I would be lying to you if I said I ran over less than 5000 of the biggest grasshoppers I have ever laid my eyes on. By the time I finished my trip today my bike and my legs were covered with grasshopper innards. Not a pleasant thought but so very true.

I rode 107 miles today, which marks my fourth century ride. I rode two of them when I road the Seattle to Portland ride, one the first day of this ride across America and then today. I thought the tough part of a century ride would be my arms, legs, or lungs, but instead it’s my butt. I could have kept going today except my bottom said that’s it! Since we will be taking tomorrow off I’m hoping it will be prepared to take on another week of riding. The other difference in being able to go the long distance is the temperature. Today I started at 64 degrees and ended at 87 degrees.

Tomorrow we will attend church here in Lordsburg and then drive up into the mountains to Silver City. We’ll give you a report on it after the visit.

On Monday I will be heading for Las Cruces via Interstate 10. Numerous people told us that taking the route down close to the border was too risky with all of the drug traffic and other activities going on in the area.

Trivia: 5000 + dead grasshoppers by bicycle
3rd flat tire. This is only the second flat on my front tire in over 5,000 miles. I wish I could say the same for the back tire.

Total miles ridden = 701 or an average of 87 miles per day

2 comments:

rlieuwen said...

Yuck, Yuck and double yuck on the grasshopper scene! I love the pictures and the details on the days ride. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Leroy - We love reading about your trip. Keep up the good work and stay safe - Rich and Ginny