Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Facing the Wind




This is for yesterday, September 15, 2008. We were not in a wireless zone last night so couldn't get on line.
The New Mexico moon as Leroy was leaving Lordsburg and the struggle to get uphill and against the wind. . . . .
They say the wind was caused by hurricane Ike, but whatever the reason the wind blew all from the East to the West at 15 to 20 mph and it never let up. I was riding on the shoulder of the I-10 freeway, so the only time I got over 9 mph was when a semi truck would pass by and create a momentary vacuum. It would have been nice if there had been a solid stream of trucks pass by to really allow me to have maintained a nice speed. I did ride 79 miles today after starting at 6:00 AM and ending at 4:30 PM. Almost 10 hours of riding time. So after experiencing a day of wind we decided that tomorrow we would start from up north of Las Cruses, and ride from a community called Hatch, New Mexico to El Paso, Texas. Hatch is located on Hwy 185 about 30 miles north of Las Cruses.

We did manage to cross the Continental Divide at 10:00 AM at an elevation of 4,585 ft. I thought it would be a struggle because of climbing up a slope, but instead it was a struggle because of wind. Once over the divide there was no noticeable difference, the road continued to look totally flat.

We stopped at a bike shop late this afternoon to pick up another bike tire. My rear tire had six ¼ to ¾ inch cuts in it, that I suspect was caused by some glass that I have run over the past several days. I changed the tire tonight knowing that it is much easier to change in the hotel room as opposed to the side of he road.

The terrain remained very consistent all day so it will be nice riding through farming country tomorrow.

Hi! This morning I started the day riding my bike out with Leroy about eight miles. I turned around and went back towards the motel and experienced two interesting sights. The first was a rustling in the grass along side the road and out hopped a huge jackrabbit. He took off away from me, thank goodness. What a sight; it jumped up about eight feet in the air with each hop. Then about a mile down the road I heard hoof steps coming towards me and there were two havolinas (wild boars) coming towards me from across the road. Fortunately, a pickup truck was passing by and the gentlemen stopped his truck and then drove the wild boars off the side of the road.

The day ended with a flat tire on the car. Fortunately, I had already picked up Leroy and he changed it, drove to Wal-Mart and purchased a set of new tires. What a day!!!

No comments: