Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blythe, California to Wickenburg, Arizona


Leaving the California/Arizona border which is the Colorado River. Cacti in different shapes.

















What a day! We got a nice early start out of Blythe only to find out that the scheduled breakfast location, Quartzite, was out of power. I rode another 20 miles up Interstate 10 only to find out they were out of power as well. It was time to call the rescue squad. Libby had stayed in Blythe to get her morning exercise at Curves and then pack up our stuff with plans to meet me about noon. However when I discovered there was no food to be had along the road I asked her to bring me some breakfast at a rest stop 40 miles from Blythe. Fortunately I had many energy bars and plenty to drink or I would never have been able to make it 40 miles.


Having stopped in Quartzite for the breakfast I didn't get; I meet a motorcycle rider who suggested not going to Wickenburg via Hwy 60 because of about 45 miles of fresh "Chip Seal" on the road. He said it was like having bullets fired at you when cars and trucked meet or passed you. Because of his suggestion I stayed on Interstate 10 straight east for 83 miles. This would have really been a nice ride except I had to ride against a fairly stiff breeze most of the way. There were many clouds that blocked the sun however, so it stayed cooler that 100 until 2:30 PM when I completed my ride. The route on I-10 once into Arizona was much more scenic than yesterday in California.

After having a large recovery meal we headed towards Phoenix and then turned north before getting to Phoenix so we could spend the evening in Wickenburg where we will launch tomorrow morning.
Miles Traveled = 83
Total Miles = 430
Trivia = Rode over 41 spots along the Interstate where cars/motorhomes had burned and melted the asphalt

2 comments:

SunnyMom said...

Hi Uncle Leroy!! We are so proud of you and the progress you have made! We are praying for your safety and for Aunt Libby as well.
We had our yard sale last Saturday and made $202.45. I was really hoping for more, but it sounds like we had a lot of competition with other sales that day.
Keep on rolling! We Love You!
Linda (Chad and the girls too)

Beverly said...

Hey Leroy and Libby,
I've been enjoying following you down the road vicariously (the only intelligent way to make this trip, eh?) I'm glad the rescue squad is in full gear! My father's daily breakfast included oatmeal and raisins too--he called it mush with flies in it for the amusement of his grandkids--you have my permission to use with yours- :-). Glad that you are enjoying the scenery, if not the heat. Keep well watered! Only a few more miles to go! Thanks for sharing your experience with all of your couch potato friends. I may just go for a walk tonight! Thanks for the inspiration. Keep safe and stay off the bullet highways! Beverly