Thursday, July 31, 2008

Washington DC Trip

As part of my work with GEAR UP I have had the opportunity to visit Washington DC on several occasions. This year along with attending many conference sessions my wife and I took time to visit most of the sites on the "Mall". Since I am a Vietnam veteran and lost many friends in that conflict I always go to the "Wall" to pay tribute to those who served. I served with the 25th Infantry as a platoon leader from December 1969 to April 1970. I was very fortunate to work with 29 young men who really gave it all. We spent most of our time between Chu Chi and the Cambodia boarder as well as many trips into Cambodia. I was with a mechanized unit so we covered a very large area.

I would have to say that both the officer training (OCS) and the opportunity to serve as a platoon leader was some of the best training I could have had as I prepared to teach and coach as well as serving as a school administrator.

No comments: