Monday, July 14, 2008

204 mile ride-Seattle to Portland

On July 12 and 13th I rode the Seattle to Portland ride along with 9,500 other riders. I started at the UofW at 5:15 and arrived in Centralia 1:00 PM. I averaged 14.7 mph. On Sunday I rode from Centralia to Portland. I left at 6:15 AM and arrived in Portland at 2:30. I averaged 13.8 mph. Both days the starting temperature was 53 degrees with the ending of the day temperature about 95 degrees.

The STP is a very well organized event. Well planed stops for food,water and mechanical support if needed. The roads and trails bring you through some of the most pictorial parts of the state. Mt Rainer, Saint Helen's and Mt Hood were all at there best.

The purpose of this ride for me was to see if riding two 100 mile rides back to back were possible. So as my September 6 date approaches for my ride across America I believe all of the miles I have trained are indeed paying off.

I will now have to take some days off the bike for the rest of July to train for my annual hike up Mt Adams. I have been fortunate to be able to hike Mt Adams every year since 1984. I plan on Hiking July 31 this year.

No comments: