Thursday, October 9, 2008

75 Miles and Never Dry

Today began with overcast skies so Libby and I took off driving from Oak Hill Ranch in Monticello where we stayed last night at about 7:15 a.m. We hadn’t driven but two miles and the rain began again, so we returned to our warm, dry “cabin” at the Bussells. Spent the time writing postcards and getting yesterday’s blog started. Tried again at 9:15 a.m. and sure enough it wasn’t raining anymore.

The temperature was 75 degrees and extremely humid with water on the roadway so that every time a car passed me I received a shower, and each time a truck passed me I received a bath!! This was road grime water to top it off. Libby kept close tabs on me all day because it rained intermittently, but I pedaled on. Made a stop in Madison, Florida for lunch at McDonalds and then pedaled almost to Lake City before getting caught in a torrential downpour. Fortunately, I had to tolerate it for less than a mile as my rescue angel was waiting for me. More ups and downs with longer stretches of flat today, entirely without wind. Praise the Lord for small favors.

Right now we are in a motel at Lake City and I am doing bicycle maintenance as the rain washed away the lubricants from my last maintenance on Sunday, and left my gear chain full of sand and road grit. Also, my back tire is disintegrating so it is time for a new tire. (Thank you Luke for sending me on my way with a spare.) In checking my liner, I discovered another piece of steel belted radial residue poking through. No flat tube, however.

The first community we came through after leaving Monticello was Greenville, Florida. Libby saw a nice community park so she checked it out and found this great bronze statue of Ray Charles. He called “Greensville” his home, as it was where he was raised, where he had the unfortunate accident that caused his blindness, and always where he returned to see his family and friends.

Each town continues with the fall decorations, which are unique and joyful to gaze upon along our travels.








Miles Traveled Today = 75
Total Miles Traveled = 2,568
Trivia = Amount of rainfall today = Seemed like four inches.
Passed an enormous peanut processing plant in Lee, Florida as well as a Pilgrim brand chicken processing plant.

No comments: